As I approached the end of my morning jog, today, I was acutely aware of the self-talk I was silently screaming. The words I pummeled at myself were "one more". Before I knew it, I was thinking very intently about those two words, and how often they define my perspective.
I really think "one more" were two of the very earliest words my boys learned. They effectively spoke them to plead for one more cookie, one more tummy-dropping spin, one more movie, one more minute at Grandma's house, or one more book before bedtime. As an adult, I do the same thing. I desire one more minute after the alarm goes off, one more commercial break before I get up to clear the dinner dishes, or one more splurge before we buckle down. "One more" illustrates our desire to acquire.
As was true this morning, sometimes those same two words serve a completely different purpose; they help us hold on for dear life when we want to throw in the proverbial towel. One more minute on the treadmill, one more paper for school, one more load of laundry, one more day until the weekend, or one more second of patience. "One more" illustrates our will to endure.
The most profound "one more" for which we'll yearn, is the "one more" we know we'll never be granted. One more hug from a departed loved one, one more cuddle with our babies after their grown, one more chance to handle something differently, one more wonderfully ordinary day after an event/ circumstance steals ordinary away. " One more" illustrates our need to savor.
I love how thinking about perspective brings about a stronger sense of perspective. If you think about the things we sometimes seek to acquire, they can come at a cost. Conversely, a cost can create a gain. Finally, the knowledge of tomorrow's sorrow can multiply today's joy. Perspective. It's awesome.
Let the things we ask for "one more" of, be the things that are good for us. Let us persevere through the "one more" task that will make all the difference, and let us savor everything today, that could be the "one more" time we wish we could have tomorrow.
"One more" thought: thanks for stopping by! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment