Thursday, April 25, 2013

In the Middle of the Road

     Driving between work locations today, I got stuck under a bridge, on a one-lane road, and there was no obvious reason for why the truck in front of me wan't moving! I was so frustrated, in a hurry, and up ahead I saw nothing but the clear road I wanted to be driving on! A moment later, the truck nudged forward (and to the right) and I was able to merge into the left lane, to drive around the source of the traffic stop. As I looked to my right, I saw a woman trying desperately to get her car started, and I instantly felt guilt for my earlier frustration. She was frantic and I felt terrible for her. I wondered if she had a phone and tried to think of a way to get back to offer her mine. I looked in my rear view and saw the truck that was once in front of me. It was now behind me because as I noted earlier, he nudged forward and to the right. He veered to the right to help her.

     My first thought was relief that he stopped. My next thought was a warmth in knowing that people really do step in to help others. That warmth was quickly replaced by the cold hard reality that I need to do a better job of being one of those people. It made me ponder the following questions: How many 'cars in the middle of the road' have I gone 'left' and 'driven by'? How many times do I turn left because I am really busy, or I assume there will be another car behind me to help, or I wait too long and the opportunity (or urge) passes? I imagine getting to Heaven one day and although God will share some times my turning right pleased Him, I also imagine Him saying to me: "Audrey, remember when you had the idea to take a dinner to a grieving family, or the impulse to donate to the family who suffered a house fire, or the strong desire to send a card, or the sting of tears you felt that made you want to reach out to your hurting neighbor? That was me asking you to do that. *ouch*

     I don't believe today was one of the times I was supposed to turn right, because I wasn't equipped to help the woman in the middle of *that* road. He sent someone better suited for her particular need. Today, I didn't miss an *opportunity* to help; I gained a powerful *reminder* to help. There *will* be more cars in the middle of the road, whose needs match perfectly with my resources, talents, time, and opportunity. I know for those cars, God will be the one looking in the rear view mirror, and it will be me He will look toward, to be the one who turns right.

     The woman I saw today will never know how her terrible, frantic moment prompted another woman to open her eyes... to the cars in the middle of the road.

     

2 comments:

  1. Audrey, this really speaks to me. I have had many of those moments of wanting to help, then didn't. And I was also someone in need of help once, when I passed out while driving. A man stopped to help me, and I recognized him as a familiar face from church. Instantly I felt safe and a little calmer. He actually admitted to me that he was running late and "didn't want to stop, but my car went that way". He stayed even when my husband showed up, and was still there after the fire and police crews left the scene. I often want to help in similar situations, but feel ill-equipped to do so. I need to look for more opportunities where I can be more useful. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That must have been so scary! Thank you for your comment and I am so happy to have a new blogger friend! I went to your blog to follow it and can't quite figure out how to do that. But, I'll be reading! :)

    ReplyDelete