Thursday, May 16, 2013

Stay the Course



Over the course of training for a 5K, the reality that running is mental has become abundantly clear to me. I began with 60-second intervals, the longest time I could run without stopping, and evolved to the 3 miles I completed, yesterday (36 minutes without stopping!). I learned that no matter what the training schedule required of me, I was somehow able to do it. I also realized that I was able to do it, *only* because my mind was set on whatever each day’s task required. Looking ahead in the training schedule, the ‘next task’ always seemed daunting and impossible, *until* the day it was required. For example, on a Monday, 10 minutes was my *absolute* limit. I could not imagine running any longer. When Wednesday came, though, I was able to complete *twelve* minutes. Did my physical stamina really change in 48 hours? I don’t think so. My *mental* stamina was what made all the difference.

Mental stamina is an absolute must for endurance, and I learned that each of the three miles carries its own unique challenges related to endurance:

Mile 1: Physically, the first mile is the easiest because you’re the most rested. Mentally, it’s tough because you have the entire three miles ahead of you, nothing major is yet accomplished, and you’re fighting to establish your rhythm and pace. Isn't that true of so many things? For a teacher, it’s the beginning of the school year. For a mom, it’s the beginning of the week’s worth of laundry; for a student, it’s the start of a lengthy report. Regardless of the challenge ahead, we all begin with the first mile. It’s the ‘mile’ when we are physically strong, mentally daunted, and we face the whole entire task ahead. If we stay the course, we make it to mile two! J

Mile 2: Physically, you are a little more taxed. The heart is pumping and the sweat has increased. Mentally, you are a *little* less taxed. The rhythm and pace are established, and some progress has been made. This second mile is the test of endurance. At this point you’ve been at it long enough to be tired, but not long enough to really see the end in sight. It is mile two that brings with it a choice. The body is still moving, and the mind has to choose between surrendering to the fatigue, or building on the time already invested. From mile one to two, it is all about discipline. Is what you've done enough for you? Can you live without finishing? Which do you see, the mile ahead or the one you've already finished? The same may be true for the teacher, the mom, the student, etc. It’s the ‘mile’ when you are physically weaker, but how you react to that feeling, mentally, will make all the difference in the final outcome. If we stay the course, we make it to mile 3! J

Mile 3: The body is ready to give out, but the mind can see the end…the *successful* end!! Every step is a step toward completion. Self-talk transitions from plea bargaining to celebration. You've accomplished more than what lies ahead. The mind is beginning to take over and it compensates for the tired body. It is the mile that serves as the tunnel between you and the finish line. Perhaps for the teacher it is the period between spring break and June. For the student, it’s completing the conclusion section of the paper. For a mom, it’s two disgusting bathrooms between her and a completely clean house! The task is still difficult, but all you have to do is push through; you’re almost there!

If you stay the course, you have completed the race. J

What’s your race, today? Have you started it? On which mile are you? Are you tired? Is your mind telling you that it’s okay to quit? Is it a difficult season of parenting? Are you in a plateau in your marriage?  Do you have a goal that seems unreachable at best? Whatever it may be….

 Stay the course; you’ll finish the ‘race’.

 You’ll be so glad you did! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment